MESSAGE FROM THE PARTNERS – IMPORTANT PRACTICE CHANGES
The COVID-19 Pandemic is having an unprecedented impact on the National Health Service across the country, stretching services which were already struggling. Derbyshire General Practice is adapting to these pressures on a day-by-day basis; reacting and implementing the expert advice from NHS England and Public Health England. Therefore, it is imperative that patients understand that they will see rapid changes in the way Derbyshire General Practice functions.
The Practice is having regular planning meetings and we have taken a number of steps to reduce risk to both patients and staff, and at the same time seeking to improve access to us via digital means and extra telephone appointments.
The following has been implemented with immediate effect:
The role of our two surgeries has changed
Park Farm Medical Centre will remain our core surgery and patients will be seen by prior arrangement only, and the child immunisation programme will continue as normal.
We have moved to a total triage system by phone or online. Patients requesting an appointment will be booked a telephone triage appointment first. If the clinician feels it is appropriate for you to be seen, they will offer you an appointment later in the day at Park Farm Medical Centre, 3 Park Farm Shopping Centre, Allestree. If you are waiting for a call back please ensure it is safe to take the call if you intend driving whilst waiting for us to make contact with you. https://www.nsc.org/road-safety/tools-resources/infographics/hands-free-is-not-risk-free
If a clinician needs to see a patient who has a clinical higher risk of having Covid-19 they will be seen for a face to face consultation by strict prior arrangement at 10 Vernon Street, Derby . Patients are to remain outside the building accessing only when asked to do so, via a designated route. This will enable safety and cleaning protocols to take place.
- Access to the surgery is only by appointment or at the request of a member of staff – please do not come down unless you have been advised to do so.
- If you need to drop anything off at the surgeries, please put it in the letterbox in the main doors, clearly marked with you name, address & date of birth.
- We are dealing with appointments on the day, so please still telephone if you have urgent medical needs. No face to face bookings are being made by Reception.
- Online booking has been disabled.
- If you live alone and have a new continuous cough or fever, however mild, stay at home for 7 days from when your symptoms started.
- If you live with others and you or one of them have a new continuous cough or fever, then all household members must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill – DO NOT ATTEND THE SURGERY.
- The blood testing service has been withdrawn at the Practice for the foreseeable future and request that patients visit www.uhdb.nhs.uk/service-phlebotomy-blood-tests/ for alternative venues. We are looking to provide some specific urgent blood tests but we are yet to clarify arrangements.
- Patients are being asked to use our ‘Ask a clinician a question’ or ‘Ask a nurse a question’ online for any queries, which can be found at our website www.parkfarm-medical.co.uk
- Routine Annual reviews e.g. Diabetic, Asthma Clinics etc, will be done over the telephone as much as possible. If your condition requires a face to face consultation your clinician will see you by prior arrangement following a telephone call to check your general health status.
- Immunisations, Zoladex, Prostap, etc, WILL continue for now, but a nurse will contact you by telephone first to check your general health status.
- Prescriptions will be sent to a nominated pharmacy (no collections from surgery). If you have not nominated a pharmacy please telephone us or your pharmacy to set this up.
- We are asking patients on medications to request their repeats by telephone through the Medicines Order Line, on 0115 855 0260, open Monday to Friday between 8.00am and 4.00 pm. Online ordering can be done through Systmonline, or directly on this website. Alternatively, if you are not signed up for online services to consider downloading the NHS App – www.nhs.uk/apps-library/nhs-app to your smartphone or tablet.
- This website is being updated continuously with the latest guidance.
- Test results can be viewed on line through Systmonline, or you can telephone Reception in the usual way.
- Patients with existing appointments are being telephoned ahead of their appointment to establish their health needs and if appropriate, will continue to be seen for a face to face consultation.
This is a fast, ever changing picture and we are having to adapt daily. It is taking a lot of manpower to organise and facilitate these changes and we ask for our patients’ understanding during these challenging times.
We understand that many of you will be worried but can assure you that we care passionately about our patients and we will be working tirelessly to provide the care that you deserve.
The Doctors and Staff at Park Farm Medical Centre and Vernon Street Surgery.